Saturday was hot. Our season opener against the Beavers was scheduled to start at 4pm, but the shenanigans from them started well before kickoff.
- As I'm walking past the table where you pay I see our Coach walking by, only to get stopped. They wouldn't let him in because he didn't have his "Sideline Pass". Our owner tells them it doesn't matter, he is a coach. They still give him shit about it and finally Jim digs one up for him. Give me a fucking break.
- Not a single Beaver player is on the field and our guys are practicing field goals. We're there for a good 10 minutes when one of the players yells at us to "get on the other side of the field, this was their side". Sorry asshat, I didn't see your name on this side of the field. What a joke.
- We're going over our defense around the 50 yard line as the Beavers are taking their lap and as they pass us their Tight End (who has GAME tattooed on the outside of one forearm and OVER on the other arm) proceeds to starts spouting off at the mouth at our coach, saying "Get your fucking players on the other side of the 50!!! Take control over your players coach, damn, what the fuck?"
- The D-Bag that runs the Beavers sent two uniformed police officers over to our side of the field to check and make sure people on our sidelines had Sideline Passes. Again with the fucking sideline passes.
- The host team (Beavers) provided no water or ice whatsoever. At all the games I've been at in my years in this league, every host team has always provided it. More gamesmanship games by the organization.
The game started right at 4pm, and I just have to say right now I'm glad I sucked down almost a gallon of water before the game. If I didn't, I doubt I would have made it through the entire game because it was stifling hot and humid.
Nickola recovered a fumble in their endzone for our first points in our franchise's history, at which point we missed our extra point. The Beavers scored pushing it to 6-6, missing their PAT as well. We scored another TD (Sanford pass to Josh Smith) and hit the PAT to go up 13-6. Beavers scored a TD, went for 2 and got it to go up 14-13. On the ensuing kickoff, their kicker flubbed it over our front line, right at me and I covered it up. No one is sure if it was an intentional onside kick or not, personally I just think the kid had a weak ass leg.
This is where it got interesting.
Really deep in our zone because of a 15 yarder on us, Harmon had us snap it through the endzone to give the Beavers the safety. 16-13, Beavers ball.
Even the casual football fan might wonder why he did that, but it was smart and he took it out of Belichick's playbook from almost 5 years ago.
Field position meant everything in this game to this point, and our defense was coming up big. We free kicked it away to them and stopped them. We got the ball back, Sanford led us down the field and with almost no time left our kicker nailed a 45 yarder to push the game to OT, tied at 16.
Beavers won the coin toss so our defense needed to get back out there and stop them. And we did.
The ball went back to Sanford to lead us down the field. Just when it looked like he was about to be sacked from a chasing linebacker Sanford stopped on a dime, going in the other direction, only to watch the kid's knee buckle and fall in a heap to the field. He completed the pass, and in the ensuing play, he threw a deep ass bomb back to Smith for the winner.
In the end, their "stud Tight End" that mouthed off at Coach before the game? Yeah, big goose egg in the catches department. GAME OVER is right. Too bad, so sad.
Awesome game. It was an amazing win, the best I've ever been a part of. We never quit, we stayed together, and we had faith in one another. It was a great feeling.
It was good seeing 10 of my ex-teammates on the Beavers after the game. It's pretty funny because in the midst of all the BS from the organization, absolutely none of it has been a result of the players. Pretty lame if you ask me. It was great though, going head to head against Guerriero, going after Kirby and Ahmed, Tommy and Richie, watching Wyborney, Murphy, Metal Mike, and my boy Jimmy Williams. That's a quarter of their roster, and all had nothing but good things to say after the game, even in defeat.
Maybe their GM should take a look at how classy they are and take lessons.
We play the Charge at home this Saturday. Both teams are 1-0. Another battle for sure.